specific news, events and more...
Co-existence measures and legal aspects
Russia has several pieces of legislation that address genetically modified organisms. Regulations for co-existence do not yet exist.
The major laws on genetic engineering focus on safety issues:
- State regulation for genetic engineering (1996, amended in 2000)
- Quality and safety of foods (2000) for the registration of GM food and feed
- Government Act (2001) on state registration of GMOs
- Government Act (2002) on state registration of GM feed
- Act of the Chief State Sanitary Doctor of the Russian Federation (2003) on GM microorganisms for food production
Russia has no regulations on co-existence. The import of certain GMOs for food and feed has been permitted. There is no liability scheme in case of co-existence problems.
Regional Co-extra reporter /rapporteur: